BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02135
FAX (617) 332-1223
ALAN KOVACS concentrates on corporate transactional matters for small and medium sized
businesses, trade regulation counseling and complex business litigation, including antitrust, consumer protection and securities
litigation. Mr. Kovacs has over 35 years of experience as an attorney.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Kovacs
spent four years as an Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan, New York and Middlesex County, Massachusetts, where he did
both appellate and trial work arguing over a dozen cases before the highest appellate courts in New York and Massachusetts.
From 1978 through 1985, he worked in the Antitrust Division of the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office where he rose to
Chief of that Division as well as Chairman of Antitrust Task Force of the National Association of Attorneys General. He was
then Of-Counsel to Ferriter, Scobbo, Sikora before starting his own law firm in 2001.
Some of Mr. Kovacs’s
relevant work includes:
- Creation of joint venture among over 20 real estate firms to develop website for joint
marketing of available properties;
- Representation of
overseas wineries seeking to establish U.S. based distribution;
- Lead counsel in Oil Overcharge Litigation, a nationwide class action that involved claims that oil companies had
violated price controls and that resulted in a nationwide settlement of over $2 Billion;
- Representation, as Co-Lead Counsel, of retail liquor stores in antitrust litigation
challenging validity of price posting statutes. Litigation resulted in a finding that the statutes are
- Representation, as Co-Lead
Counsel, of independent pharmacies in antitrust litigation against nationwide retail pharmacy chain and major HMO.
Litigation resulted in a significant settlement based upon the entry of summary judgment against the defendants.
Case represents one of few decisions on summary judgment in favor of a class of businesses under the Massachusetts
Consumer and Business Protection Act;
- Representation of regional supermarkets in connection with governmental investigations of slotting fees;
- Representation of national food manufacturer in connection with governmental
claims that inclusion of toy in product packaging constituted violation of federal and state food and safety regulations and
consumer protection laws.
- Representation of
internet company in litigation claiming that manufacturer and nationwide brick-and-mortar retailer engaged in antitrust violations
and unfair trade practices by conspiring to drive internet company out-of-business. Litigation resulted
in purchase of internet company by brick-and-mortar business.
- Representation of physician, pharmacies and ambulance companies claiming exclusion from health insurance networks
constituted antitrust violations and unfair trade practices;
- Associate Commissioner, Massachusetts Hospital System Payment Advisory Commission, 1995 - 1997.
Mr. Kovacs is admitted
to practice in Massachusetts and New York, and in the United States Supreme Court, the US Circuit Courts of Appeal for the
First and Second Circuits, and the US District Courts for the Districts of Massachusetts, Southern New York and Eastern New
He is a graduate of Amherst College and Columbia Law School, where he was an Associate Editor of the
Journal of International Law. He also holds a Masters of Law Degree in Taxation from Boston University.
Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Rating: AV® PREEMINENT